1 a line of text serving to indicate what the passage below it is about; "the heading seemed to have little to do with the text" [syn: header, head]
3 a horizontal (or nearly horizontal) passageway in a mine; "they dug a drift parallel with the vein" [syn: drift, gallery]
- Rhymes: -ɛdɪŋ
- present participle of head
The word heading has various meanings:
- It is synonymous with the related word Headline.
- A heading is used to provide hierarchical information about other information. Headings can emphasize or tell people what information is where, such as a title or subtitle or topic at the top or beginning of a paragraph or letter or chapter. Headings are used in wiki, HTML, and other markup languages.
- In navigation, a heading is the direction a person or vehicle is facing or pointing.
- In some mining jargon, a heading is a communication tunnel which is being extended in a given direction.
aim, antecedent, anteposition, anteriority, azimuth, banner, banner head, basis, bearing, bent, blood, bold front, bracket, branch, brave face, brave front, burden, cap, capping, capsheaf, caption, caput, case, caste, category, chapter, chief, clan, class, compass direction, concern, consummating, course, crest, crown, crowning, culminating, current, direction, direction line, display, division, drift, drop head, dropline, epigraph, essence, estate, facade, face, facet, facia, first, focus of attention, focus of interest, fore, forefront, foregoing, foreground, forehand, foreland, foremost, forepart, forequarter, foreside, foreword, front, front elevation, front man, front matter, front page, front view, frontage, frontal, frontier, frontispiece, gist, grade, group, grouping, hanger, head, headline, headmost, headpiece, helmsmanship, inclination, issue, jump head, kin, label, lap, lay, le pas, leading, legend, level, lie, line, line of direction, line of march, living issue, main point, matter, matter in hand, meat, motif, motive, motto, navigation, obverse, order, orientation, outtopping, overline, overtopping, pigeonhole, piloting, pinhead, point, point at issue, point in question, position, precedence, precedent, preceding, precessional, precursor, precursory, predicament, preface, prefix, prior, priority, problem, proscenium, quarter, question, race, range, rank, rating, rubric, run, running head, running title, scarehead, screamer, section, sept, set, spread, spreadhead, station, status, steerage, steering, strain, stratum, streamer, subdivision, subgroup, subhead, subheading, subject, subject matter, subject of thought, suborder, substance, subtitle, superscription, tendency, tenor, text, the lead, theme, title, title page, topic, topknot, topping, track, trend, van, vector, way, window dressing